Community Outreach Update: October 2020
Find out what our Community Outreach team has been up to the past month…
Active Travel team
- Have been holding weekly community stalls at both our West and South Hubs, designed to provide a friendly and socially-distanced face for anyone curious about traveling on a bike.
- Held 6 Dr Bike community sessions with 21 people attending to get their bikes checked over for free.
- Loaned out 9 eBikes to the public to try out for free, as part of our exciting eBike Library.
- Hosted the first screening of our new Film Club; bi-monthly films centred around cycling and climate change – all viewed from the comfort of your own home! We hold a group conversation after each screening for a little socialising, too! Check out more upcoming films here.
- Are developing plans for the first meeting of our Climate Challenge Group – a team of passionate folk working to create more events and activities that generate enthusiasm and knowledge of climate action. Email email@example.com if you’d like to join the group.
- Key workers are now being offered the option to purchase a bike at a discounted cost, details here.
Health and Wellbeing team
- Their weekly rides are back in full swing.
- The Phoenix Futures cycling group have cycled to Spiers Warf and the Transport Museum and are planning to ride to the West Hub from Anniesland next week.
- Moss Heights community group is gaining confidence and now can look behind and signal perfectly thanks to their cycling lessons.
- Thursday Womxn and Non-Binary rides are now running at both West and South Hubs.
- Mount Vernon community group has received their eBikes and even their families have been getting involved!
Skills and Development team
- Ran 10 Fix Your Own Bike sessions outdoors, including 2 for young people.
- Completed the second Build Your Own Bike training course of this year. This in-depth course for young people not in education or employment qualifies students at City & Guilds level 2 bike mechanics, and they build a bike they get to keep.
- Finished our 4-week cycling sessions with YCSA & Community Renewal youth groups.
- Ran 8 volunteer bike maintenance sessions, teaching our volunteers how to strip, clean, prep, and build refurbished bikes.
- Cycled with two groups of young people from Govanhill to Cunningar Loop for a great day of exploring, see the fun we had here.