VeloCommunities – Making it Easy to Commute by Bike

We have been awarded £299,298 from the Scottish Government’s Climate Challenge Fund to run our VeloCommunities programme until March 2020 – making us the 1000th project to be funded through the fund. We will be running a project aimed at decreasing carbon emitting modes of travel around both our West End and South Side hubs over the next two years. The programme will consist of many FREE services and activities, such as cycle training, maintenance classes, led rides, Dr Bikes, climate change awareness activities and much more!

Full details on the project’s activities can be found below. However if you would like to know more, please get in touch (West End) or Community Hub  (South Side).

Travelling by bike helps you to save money, protect the environment and get healthier too!

If you would like to give commuting by bike a try we have a comprehensive package to help you. Thanks to the Climate Challenge Fund, you can sign up for a FREE tailored programme such as:

• Maintenance classes to suit all levels – to learn how to fix minor roadside issues such as punctures, adjust your brakes and much more!
  • Essential cycling skills – to learn how to safely cycle around the city and negotiate traffic
  • Travel planning session – to look at the best ways to travel between your work/home/college, and also how you can transport your equipment or family
  • Ride your commuting route – ride the journey with a qualified instructor to build up your confidence
  • All season cycling – learn what you need to keep cycling year-round!

You can choose to take part in all or some of the above activities, and this can also be combined with a free month-long bike loan should bicycle access be a problem for you. For more information or to sign-up get in touch here.

Maintenance classes

Want to build up your confidence for fixing roadside repairs? Keen to become more self-sufficient? Free (yes, that’s right, FREE!) maintenance classes will be running from Bike for Good, 65 Haugh Road.

Full details, dates and sign-up available HERE 

Led Rides

Want to get more confident on your bike but don’t want to go it alone? Come along to our group rides and get comfortable with city cycling with the help of a trained instructor. Rides take place from Bike for Good 65 Haugh Road.

Full details, dates and sign-up available HERE

Bike Loans

Do you know that we can offer free bicycle loans for up to one month?

If you or anyone you know is thinking of switching to a cycle-commute but doesn’t want to immediately invest in a bike, we can help! Bikes come equipped with a pannier bag, lock and helmet – everything you need to start getting around by bike. This can be combined with free cycling lessons, as described below. Get in touch to find out more!

Cycle Training

We can also offer group or one-to-one cycling lessons. Whether you want to improve your cycling ability or build up your confidence to cycle on the roads, we can help. Get in touch to find out more or organise a free lesson with one of our excellent instructors.

Don’t take it from us – here’s some feedback from Farzane, one of our cycle training participants:

‘My experience with Bike for Good has affected my life so much. I can now easily commute around the city. Yesterday I cycled to Braehead with no problems – I never thought that would be possible for me! It’s really fun cycling, I love it! I’m so happy I found Bike for Good and these lessons, I couldn’t even imagine cycling on the roads before and now I cycle everywhere every day.’

Bike Buddies

Bike Buddies are here to help you improve your skills and confidence while cycling.

Bike buddies do a variety of tasks to help with your cycling.

They can plan the best route for you. Ride the route with you teaching you how to negotiate road hazards and ride safely. They can show you basic bike maintenance and also check that your bike is adjusted to fit you correctly.

Bike buddies are ideal for beginner cyclists looking to improve their bike skills or the experienced cyclist who would like to tackle the busiest city centre routes.

You can book a Bike Buddy whatever your level of cycling.

And finally…

This project and the free services we offer are all available thanks to the Scottish Government’s Climate Challenge Fund. Together, we’re aiming to reduce carbon emissions in Glasgow by 898.4 tonnes by the end of March 2020. Thanks to you all for getting involved and helping us to achieve it!